Be it resolved: That the Sonoma State University Academic Senate endorse the following Statement on Civility and Tolerance,
SSU Statement on Civility and Tolerance
Sonoma State University is strongly committed to creating a productive learning and living environment that promotes the rights, safety, dignity, and value of every individual. It is fundamental to our mission to promote a civil, respectful, and inclusive community, and to oppose acts of racism, religious intolerance, sexism, ageism, homophobia, harassment, discrimination against those with disabling conditions, or other forms of intolerance. It is the responsibility of all members of the SSU community to create a productive campus climate characterized by considerate and principled conduct.
We expect that all members of the SSU community will:
- Communicate with each other in a civil manner
- Recognize and be accountable for how their actions and language impact the community
- Treat community members with consideration, dignity, and respect
- Create a community in which actions of bigotry, oppression, bullying, and hatred will not be tolerated
- Confront behavior or report to university staff any incidents of intolerance, hatred, injustice, or incivility
And be it further resolved: The SSU Academic Senate recognize the academic freedom of the university community to raise and critically discuss controversial ideas.
And be it further resolved: That the Sonoma State University Academic Senate request that the above Statement on Civility and Tolerance be posted to a permanent page on SSU’s website with links to it from other relevant SSU webpages,
And be it further resolved: That the Sonoma State University Academic Senate request that this Statement on Civility and Tolerance be emailed to all current SSU students, faculty, staff, and administrators, and included in the materials that every new SSU student, faculty, staff, and administrator receives.
Cal State Long Beach
University of Nevada, Las Vegas